Do You Remember: Threshold
The short-lived CBS sci-fi series Threshold debuted on September 16, 2005, focusing on a secret government project investigating the first contact with an extraterrestrial species.
The series starred Carla Gugino (Wayward Pines and the box office film San Andreas) as Dr. Molly Caffrey, a high-level government crisis management consultant from the Blackwood Institute whose job is to create contingency plans for use in emergencies ranging from natural disasters to nuclear war. In order to have all bases covered, one of her plans, code-named Threshold, is developed for dealing with the unlikely eventuality of first contact with aliens. One night, the crew of a U.S. naval vessel encounters a UFO.
Caffrey’s Threshold plan calls for the formation of a secret government task force known as the Red Team. As a result, several top scientists are recruited, including Dr. Nigel Fenway (Brent Spiner of Star Trek fame), an individualistic NASA-employed microbiologist; Lucas Pegg (Rob Benedict from Supernatural), a somewhat unsure-of-himself aerospace engineer on the eve of his marriage, and Arthur Ramsey (Peter Dinklage of Game of Thrones fame), a mathematics and linguistics genius with a penchant for unpredictability, alcohol and women.
Other cast members included Charles S. Dutton (Roc and Longmire) as Deputy National Security Advisor J.T. Baylock and Brian Van Holt (Cougar Town) as freelance paramilitary operative Sean Cavennaugh.
Among the guest stars on either aired or unaired episodes of Threshold, who have since gone on to star in successful shows, appear on the stage or in box office films, include the following:
• Jake Abel (Supernatural and the Percy Jackson films)
• Seamus Dever (Castle)
• Kevin Durand (Dark Angel, Lost and The Strain)
• Raphael Sbarge (Once Upon a Time)
• Catherine Bell (JAG, Army Wives and Good Witch)
• Leslie Odom, Jr. (Hamilton, Smash and Murder on the Orient Express)
• James Frain (Orphan Black and True Blood)
• Steven R. McQueen (The Vampire Diaries)
• Jeffrey Donovan (Burn Notice and Shut Eye)
• Kevin Alejandro (Ugly Betty, Arrow, True Blood and Lucifer)
• Viola Davis (How to Get Away With Murder)
• Cameron Monaghan (Shameless and Gotham)
The series started out airing on Friday nights, but it was eventually moved to Tuesday nights in an effort to boost ratings. That plan, however, backfired with a sharp drop in ratings. The show aired only 9 of its 13 episodes, being cancelled on November 23, 2005.
Do you remember Threshold?