BLINDSPOT: Martin Gero & Ennis Esmer discuss the new season
Last season, Blindspot cleared up the two-season long plot about Shepherd and Sandstorm and all was well, at least for a few minutes…until the last minute or two of the episode did a WTH time-jump ~ two years into the future to show Weller finding his runaway *wife* Jane to tell her that he needed her help to rescue Zapata, Reade, and Patterson who had been kidnapped. Together, Weller and Jane’s fingerprints opened a “magical” box and with a “touch” of a butterfly tattoo on her neck, suddenly all new tattoos are revealed.
At New York Comic Con, we got to talk with the cast and creator Martin Gero about that crazy ending and what the reboot means for Team Tattoo. We talked with series regulars Ashley Johnson (Patterson), Luke Mitchell (Roman), Jaimie Alexander (Jane) Sullivan Stapleton (Kurt Weller), Rob Brown (Edgar Reade), and Audrey Esparza (Tasha Zapata) with a surprise appearance from new season regular Ennis Esmer (Rich Dotcom).
Highlights of our discussions included:
- The Big Bad for season 3 is Roman and he’s out to prove that Jane was wrong to align herself with the FBI
- The Team will soon be all back together, although with some in new roles
- The two-year gap gave many of the characters time to heal from their previous traumas and get their lives back together (we’re calling you out, Reade!) while others may have gotten themselves in deeper
Check out the video of our interview below with series creator Martin Gero and Ennis Esmer (Rich Dotcom)
- Rich Dotcom is joining the FBI and will be a regular this season
- Gero is inspired by the time and artistry that the whole crew puts into the show
- The new tattoos are more personal for Jane
- Roman has a plan that involves the tattoos – so it will parallel the first season, but mean more for the team this time
- Esmer is excited for some of the stuff he got to do this season
- They filmed a sky-diving scene this year that was real – real plane, real sky-diving
The season 3 premiere of Blindspot airs on Friday, October 27th, at 8/7c on NBC!