Buffy, the Vampire Slayer Celebrates 20th Anniversary
It was 20 years ago tomorrow that one of the most groundbreaking shows of the modern era debuted on TV:
Buffy, the Vampire Slayer
At the time, the series starred young soap star Sarah Michelle Geller in the title role as well as then unknown cast members Nicholas Brendon, Alyson Hannigan, Charisma Carpenter, David Boreanaz and British actor Anthony Stewart Head.
The series ran for seven seasons from 1997 to 2003, airing 144 episodes. The first five seasons the show aired on The WB before moving over to UPN for its final two seasons. The cast grew and changed over those seven seasons much like the focus of each season had a different and even more difficult “big bad” to battle.
Buffy, the Vampire Slayer is currently streaming on Netflix and Pop TV will have a special airing of the two-part series premiere tomorrow. Those episode are entitled “Welcome to the Hellmouth” and “The Harvest.” [Check your local listings for airtimes.]
In celebration of the show’s 20th Anniversary, Fox Consumer Products has new merchandise available as well as a contest for fans to win a trip to San Diego Comic-Con 2017 along with new books and comics from Dark Horse and Simon & Schuster, among other plans.
Check out the list below for the run-down on all the goodies:
Hot Topic is partnering with AC/DC Apparel, revealing a full fashion collection dedicated to Buffy that will be available online in summer 2017.
There will also be new accessories and jewelry available coming soon from SG@NYC.
Jasco Games also has “Buffy the Vampire Slayer: The Board Game,” available now; in the game, players must guard and protect Sunnydale from the forces of evil.
On March 10, the Sunnydale High Yearbook Contest will launch across the United States with a prize of a trip to San Diego Comic Con. Fans will be rewarded for uploading their high school class photos, and providing their best Buffy caption in the form of a “senior quote.” Participants will be able to share their submissions across their Facebook and Twitter feeds. You can get contest details and rules on BoxLunch.
Also on Friday, fans eager to wish ‘Team Buffy’ a Happy Anniversary can check out a selection of complimentary designs from the Buffy the Vampire Slayer Adult Coloring Book, which will be unveiled on the BoxLunch site listed above and the official Buffy Facebook page, allowing fans to color and submit personal messages. Make sure to use the hashtag #BuffySlays20; and share your designs and messages across social media, including sending messages to the cast of the series at the following Twitter accounts:
Sarah Michelle Gellar
Anthony Stewart Head
Dark Horse and Simon & Schuster are planning new books and comics that will be released throughout this year, with highlights that include the following releases:
• Buffy the Vampire Slayer Season 11 & Angel Season 11 Comic Series (Dark Horse /Available Now)
• Buffy: The High School Years – Parental Parasites (Dark Horse/June 2017)
• Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Omnibus Season 8 Vol 1 (Dark Horse/September 2017)
• Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Big Bads & Monsters Adult Coloring Book (Available for Pre-Order/Releasing Fall 2017)
• Buffy the Vampire Slayer: The Watcher’s Guide 20th Anniversary Edition (S&S/October 2017)
NOTE: Just in time for the show’s twentieth anniversary, the Buffy the Vampire Slayer Watcher’s Guides have been compiled into one hardcover collector’s edition for the first time! Inside, you’ll find all the best content from Volumes 1–3 of the original Watcher’s Guides, as well as exclusive new content, including never-before-seen interviews with the cast and crew.
Insight Editions and Harper Design will release several books and novelty items for the anniversary, including the following:
• Buffy the Vampire Slayer Encyclopedia: The Ultimate Guide to the Buffyverse (Harper Design/September 2017) is a lavishly produced and written book by Buffy experts and is the authoritative source for fans, allowing them to indulge in the intricacies and nuances of the series as never before. This authorized companion is a must-have for all Buffy enthusiasts as this full-color A-to-Z encyclopedia catalogs, explains, and cross-reference every detail of the Buffyverse, from characters, locations, and weapons to episodes, demons, and recurring gags.
• Buffy the Vampire Slayer: The Official Grimoire (Insight Editions/October 2017) is the first and only truly comprehensive collection of every magical moment from all seven seasons of Buffy the Vampire Slayer, humorously narrated by beloved resident witch Willow Rosenberg. Completely illustrated and annotated by the rest of the gang, this book of spells is a unique keepsake for fans of the Buffy-verse and an incredible celebration of the show’s 20-year legacy.
• Buffy the Vampire Slayer: The Definitive Visual Handbook (Insight Editions/October 2017) is a one-of-a-kind infographic guide to all things Buffy, blending striking illustrations with a bounty of facts and stats that shed light on just about every aspect of the show. Full of fun insights and surprising details about the lore, characters, quips, and most legendary episodes, battles, and villains, this refreshing take on the Buffy-verse will delight fans old and new.
• Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Vampyr Stationery Set (Insight Editions/August 2017) includes a 192-page blank pocket journal, 20 blank notecards featuring iconic Buffy quotes, envelopes, and 20 Hellmouth sticker seals. Enclosed in a keepsake box designed to look like it came from Giles’ library, this special stationery set allows fans to share the world of Buffy the Vampire Slayer with their fellow Scoobies.
• Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Vampyr Hardcover Ruled Journal (Insight Editions/August 2017) includes a section of text adapted from the original Slayer Handbook before giving way to blank ruled pages. Atmospheric, engrossing, and designed with a dynamic in-universe aesthetic, this blank ruled journal invites readers to add their own story to the legacy of the Slayer.
• Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Sunnydale High Hardcover Ruled Journal (Insight Editions/August 2017) is a finely crafted writing journal that includes a ribbon bookmark, elastic closure, inside back pocket for storage, and beautiful leatherette cover featuring the iconic emblem of Sunnydale High.
Upper Deck will present Legendary: A Buffy the Vampire Slayer Deck Building Game (for 1 to 5 players) in August. Slayers must work together to recruit powerful heroes, build their decks and take down the Big Bad once and for all.
Lastly, Surreal Entertainment will have a full line of drinkware, desktop accessories, fleece blankets and much more saluting the Slayer starting in May. Check your local retailers for these items.
What anniversary collectibles are you interested in purchasing? What are your favorite memories of Buffy, the Vampire Slayer. Please share your thoughts below.
[Source: The Hollywood Reporter and Fox Consumer Products]