New Show Introduction: Riverdale
The iconic Archie Comics characters are coming to the small screen in the upcoming series Riverdale that is set to debut on The CW on Thursday, January 26 at 9 PM.
The synopsis for the show is as follows:
As a new school year begins, the town of Riverdale is reeling from the recent, tragic death of high school golden boy Jason Blossom – and nothing feels the same.
Archie Andrews (New Zealand newcomer KJ Apa, who will soon be seen in the box office film A Dog’s Purpose) is still the all-American teen, but the summer’s events made him realize that he wants to pursue a career in music – not follow in his dad’s (Beverly Hills 90210 alum Luke Perry) footsteps (he owns a construction company) – despite the sudden end of his forbidden relationship with Riverdale’s young music teacher, Ms. Grundy (Sarah Habel from the short-lived series Rush). Which means Archie doesn’t have anyone who will mentor him – certainly not singer Josie McCoy (relative newcomer Ashleigh Murray), who is only focused on her band, the soon-to-be-world-famous Pussycats.
It’s all weighing heavily on Archie’s mind – as is his fractured friendship with budding writer and fellow classmate Jughead Jones (former Disney child star Cole Sprouse). Meanwhile, girl-next-door Betty Cooper (Lili Reinhart from the short-lived comedy Surviving Jack) is anxious to see her crush Archie after being away all summer, but she’s not quite ready to reveal her true feelings to him. And Betty’s nerves – which are hardly soothed by her overbearing mother Alice (Twin Peaks alum Madchen Amick) [who is the editor of the local newspaper] – aren’t the only thing holding her back.
When a new student, Veronica Lodge (newcomer Camila Mendes), arrives in town from New York with her mother Hermione (Marisol Nichols from Teen Wolf and 24) [both who are trying to escape a scandal perpetrated by Daddy Lodge], there’s an undeniable spark between her and Archie, even though Veronica doesn’t want to risk her new friendship with Betty by making a play for Archie.
And then there’s Cheryl Blossom (relative newcomer Madelaine Petsch), Riverdale’s Queen Bee, who is more than happy to stir up trouble amongst Archie, Betty, and Veronica, but Cheryl is keeping secrets of her own. What, exactly, is she hiding about the mysterious death of her twin brother, Jason?
Riverdale may look like a quiet, sleepy town, but there are dangers in the shadows.
Other members of the cast will include:
• Reggie Mantle (Ross Butler) is Archie’s long-time nemesis and the town prankster;
• Moose Mason (Cody Kearsley), one of Archie’s “jock friends”;
• Dilton Doiley (Daniel Yang), one of Archie’s “nerdy friends”;
• Valerie Brown (Irie Hayleau), back-up vocalist, songwriter and bassist of the Pussycats;
• Melody Valentine (Ashanti Bromfield), the drummer of the Pussycats;
• Kevin Keller (Casey Cott), popular student at Riverdale High, who is openly gay;
• Mary Andrews (Molly Ringwald), Archie’s mom who left town two years earlier to follow her dreams but comes back to reconnect with her family; and,
• Sierra McCoy (Robin Givens), Josie’s mom and Mayor of Riverdale.
Here is a trailer for Riverdale:
Riverdale will air its debut episode on The CW on January 26 at 9/8c.