In one week Dragon Con will take over the streets of Atlanta, Georgia and I couldn’t be more excited! For those of you who don’t know, Dragon Con is the largest multi-media, popular culture convention that focuses on science fiction, comics, film, gaming, literature, art and music. It is 4 days (August 30-September 2) of mind blowing fun with a ton of things to do. There are celebrity guests, panels, workshops, film festivals, comics, art shows, gaming, concerts, live bands, parties, a parade on Peachtree street (that is free and open to the public), and costumes galore!
Because there are so many awesome events to choose from, I have picked a few noteworthy events below (excluding panels, there will be another post dedicated to panels):
• Thursday 8/29 Dragon Con Night at Turner Field- come out and see the Atlanta Braves vs. Cleveland Indians. There will be a costume parade at 6:30 and Lou Ferrigno (TV’s The Incredible Hulk), Liam McIntyre (Spartacus) Lucy Lawless (Xena, Spartacus) will be in attendance. A portion of the price of each ticket will go toward three charities (Noah’s Ark Animal Sanctuary, Georgia Conservancy and Marcus Autism Center). Tickets start at $7 and can be purchased here .
• Friday 8/30 Zombie Prom, Sheraton Grand Ballroom 10 pm- Party with the Undead! The Apocalypse rising Fan track puts on the Zombie Prom every year and it is always a great time. There is a DJ, dancing, and a cash bar. Free for Dragon Con badge holders.
• Saturday 8/31 Annual Dragon Con Parade 10am- The Dragon Con Parade is a must see! The costumes are amazing and it is free and open to the public. There is a new parade route this year and you can view it here.
• Saturday 8/31 Dragon Con Night at The Georgia Aquarium, 7pm-11pm- Aspen Comics will be celebrating their 10th anniversary (as well as the 15th anniversary of “Fathom”) with a beach party at the aquarium. There will be an Aspen themed costume contest and lots of prizes! Advance tickets are $22 per person until August 29, and $25 per person after the 29th. Click here for more information or to purchase additional tickets.
• Sunday 9/1 Dragon Con Star Trek Costume World Record Attempt, Marriott Marquis, 7pm- come out to the Atrium Ballroom in your Star Trek costume to help Dragon Con reclaim the World Record. Garrett Wang will be in attendance (in costume). For rules and more information click here.
• Sunday 9/1 Yule Ball, Sheraton Ballroom 8:30pm- Come dressed in your Hogwarts finest! This event put on by the Young Adult Literature Fan Track is for all ages. There is a costume contest as well as a charity fundraiser. Free for Dragon Con badge holders.
• Walk of Fame, Friday-Monday, Marriott (room TBD)- The Walk of Fame is where you have the opportunity to meet your favorite media guests and purchase autographs. Stars from True Blood, Lost Girl, Arrow, Once Upon a Time, Defiance,and Grimm will be there (just to throw a few shows out there). The schedule for the weekend is listed below:
Friday 8/30- 1pm-7pm
Saturday 8/31- 10am-7pm
Sunday 9/1- 10am-7pm
Monday 9/2- 10am-5pm
• Celebrity Photo Opportunities- Get your picture taken with your favorite stars! Nothing is better than a picture with your favorite star! For pricing information and schedules click here.
Are you getting excited yet? I am! There is such much to do in a short period of time! What celebrity do you want to get your picture taken with? I have my fingers crossed for a picture with Stephen Amell (Arrow)!
For more information about Dragon Con visit their website or you can download The Dragon Con App from iTunes or the Google Play store.